March 17, 2011

Things I Took for Granted Before Arthritis


When I tell people I have Systemic JUVENILE Rheumatoid Arthritis, I often get a quizzical look. That's right, people think, "Hey, lady, you're 27-years-old. There's not much juvenile about you." And while this is true, my diagnosis at age 17 gives me the unique experience of being diagnosed as a "child" but living with the disease as an adult. 

I was incredibly lucky to make it through my adolescence relatively unscathed. I was healthy and happy for my childhood and many of my teen years. I was able to complete my physical education classes without needing accommodations. I was able to write my English paper rough drafts while gripping a pen in my hand. I was able to open jars of paint in art class without having to ask for help. All of this makes me incredibly lucky. 

There are so many things I took for granted before my JRA diagnosis. Here, in no particular order, is a list of things I took for granted while I wasn't flaring: 

The bottom of socks
. That's right, just the bottoms. When my first major flare happened, I could barely walk, so I would shuffle around my house. While doing this, I managed to wear out the bottoms of almost every pair of socks I owned. Truth.

The ability to brush my teeth by myself. Have you ever tried to open a tube of toothpaste during an arthritis flare? You can barely grip a handrail, let alone something small like a toothpaste cap. 

Being medication free. I miss the days where I woke up and was able to drink water without having to choke down a bunch of pills with it.

Bending. Bending anything. Bending at the waist to pick things up, bending my elbows to put a coat on, bending my fingers just because I want to...

Buttoning pants. This is interchangeable with buttoning tops, pulling zippers up and down, and generally putting on any clothes that require movement. 

Things not popping. All of the sudden, I can pop anything... neck, toes, jaw, fingers, hips, etc. It's a fun party trick but it gets rather annoying when you roll over at night and everything crackles. 

My appetite. At one point, I was dropping weight in a hurry, and not on purpose. My diet turned into consisting of solely Slim Fast Shakes mixed with a ton of highly caloric full fat ice cream. Vitamins, minerals, calories, and fat. Actually... that sounds pretty good right about now... 

- Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment