March 17, 2011

Meet Treva Strasen Our Northeastern Indiana Blogger!


Treva at the 2011 AF Advocacy Summit

Name: Treva Strasen

Hometown: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Arthritis Condition: Fibromyalgia

Diagnosed in: 1993

How has arthritis affected your life: Fibromyalgia has changed my life on all levels. The activities I previously enjoyed are too strenuous to participate in now so I had to change my physical activities and hobbies. I live every day in constant pain. My body is slow, weak, tired and heavier than before I got sick. The medication and sleep problems slow my thinking and memory. I am currently going back to school so I can get a less strenuous job.

How long and in what capacity have you been connected to the Arthritis Foundation: I have been involved with the Arthritis Foundation since 1994. I have been teaching Arthritis and Fibromyalgia Self Help Classes and I run a monthly Arthritis and Fibromyalgia support group. I am on the AF Northeastern Indiana Leadership Council. I do some public educational teaching and public health fairs for the Arthritis Foundation.

Why do you (volunteer, donate, work, etc.) with Arthritis Foundation: I volunteer with the Arthritis Foundation because I want to educate others with arthritis and fibromyalgia and help them to cope with its everyday challenges. I suffer from fibro and have a nursing degree so I feel I have a lot to offer.

Advice you have for others: Take control. Be a partner in your health care.

A little about you/What you want to know: I am a mother, wife, sister, nurse and patient. My fibromyalgia affects my family and me. They have had to adjust because of my limitations. I am not able to participate in the activities I once used to. I have had to find new hobbies and activities. My rheumatologist has tried many medications out on me with little success. The side effects often outweigh the benefits. I participate in a warm water therapy class and try to balance my work and rest the best I can. I have taken up golf and joined a book club for entertainment. My family is very supportive, though with my boys moving out of the house I miss my helpers. I am currently going back to school so that I can find a more appropriate job that is less physically strenuous. I am an Ambassador for the Arthritis Foundation and am getting more active educating and communicating with the legislators in our state. It is important to make sure that Arthritis is addressed on the national level as a major health care problem. I am interested in new medical advancements in arthritis management.

What you will be blogging about: Coping with arthritis and fibromyalgia, current Arthritis Foundation events and education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment