February 25, 2011

Yoga: My Best Fibro-Friend


Just over three years ago, I went to my doctor’s office with one question:  How do I get off some of these drugs?  I mean, I felt reasonable, but I always had that drug hang-over feeling.  In addition, I was finding exercise a challenge.  I danced from the time I was three and stopped once the fibro symptoms first really started to show.  It was so frustrating.  I could barely make it around the block.

My doctor said, “You have my permission to try anything you want.  Fibro is ever changing and we won’t know what works for you until you try it out.”  He did warn me–no weird supplements, herbs, etc. without first consulting him.  But, massage, reiki, different types of exercise were all on the table.

I instantly thought of pilates and yoga…mostly because they were so similiar to dance.  I bought my first yoga DVD, and my journey began.  At first, I used books and videos.  Then, I moved into a regular class and private sessions.  Before I knew it, I had an entire yoga room in my house.

Yoga is magic to me.  Here’s the coolest thing about it:  yoga comes to you, you don’t go to it.  What does that mean?  You don’t have to be a pretzel to get the benefits of yoga. You get to just be you–fibro fog, IBS, fatigue included.

There are many styles of yoga available, but I highly recommend the Iyengar style for those who have fibromyalgia and arthritis.  Iyengar  allows you to use props, and lots of them.  Can’t make it into a downward facing dog?  No problem!  Use the wall to prop your heels on.  Or use a pillow to rest your head.  Having a super stiff day?  Just do poses on the floor instead of standing.  Tender points in your hips giving you trouble?  Select poses that give you a gentle stretch.  Foggy?  Use poses that allow your head to rest. Genius! 

No matter where fibro takes me, yoga is aways there to soothe my muscles, give my mind a chance to forget the pain, and surrender to the peace of knowing that I’m caring for myself.  Yoga maintains me so the flare ups don’t come as often, it’s a remedy when pain first starts to emerge, and it’s a way out of the dreaded flare up.  Yoga is my best fibro-friend, always comforting and supporting me, no matter where I am.

With a regular practice, I have been able to reduce all of my medications in half and have not had to add any more.  I have more energy, fewer flare ups, and more strength than I’ve had in years.  And dance?  Yes!  I started teaching again this summer.

Interested in trying out yoga?  Here are my suggestions:
1.  Clear it with your physician.

2.  Learn about fibro-friendly yoga.  Here are my suggestions:
These two books are my favorites.  Both show lots of modifications!
·       BKS Iyengar Yoga:  The Path to Holistic Health by BKS Iyengar  (http://www.amazon.com/B-K-S-Iyengar-Yoga-Holistic-Health/dp/1405322357/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281640960&sr=1-2)
This is my favorite website.  A subscription is $10 a month and you get unlimited yoga videos.  Start with practices labeled ‘restorative,’ that means easier, relaxing, and slower paced.
·       My Yoga Online:  http://www.myyogaonline.com/

3.  Get some props so that you’re comfortable and don’t overdo it.  I suggest:
·       Blankets
·       Pillows
·       Books or blocks
·       A strap or belt
·       Yoga mat
·       Open wall space
·       A chair

You can purchase these things on www.amazon.com or a speciality site like http://www.huggermugger.com/.  You can even purchase things at a discount store.  But, you don’t have to!  Look around the house to see what you can use.  If you like it, then consider making a purchase.

4. Most people start with a home practice.  However, nothing takes the place of a good yoga instructor!  Look for an Iyengar studio and a teacher who understands fibro. Try starting here:  http://www.iynaus.org/.

Want to know more about Iyengar?  Try this site: http://www.bksiyengar.com/


Together, we can overcome. 

Kate



No comments:

Post a Comment