February 18, 2011

Meet Kate Nicholson Our Central Indiana/Indianapolis Arthritis Walk Blogger!

Name:  Kate Nicholson

Hometown:  Indianapolis, IN

Arthritis Condition: Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and chronic bursitis

Diagnosed in:  Fibromyalgia in 2003, osteoarthritis and chronic bursitis in 2009

How has arthritis affected your life:  My diagnoses made me more driven to lead a healthy lifestyle and reach out to others who have the same issues.  I have a regular yoga practice and eat well, participate in research studies, volunteer with the Arthritis Foundation, and blog about my experiences.  It has been life changing, but it has made my life better and more meaningful.

Kate & boyfriend Brian at Indy JBR
How long and in what capacity have you been connected to the Arthritis Foundation:  In 2009 and 2010, I volunteered on the Indianapolis Jingle Bell Run committee.  In 2010, I also joined the Indianapolis Arthritis Walk committee as the volunteer coordinator.  In 2010, I mentored a group of graduate students who produced promotional material for Bone Bash.   In 2011, I am the Indianapolis Arthritis Walk event vice-chair.

Why do you volunteer with AF:  I understand how difficult it is to live with these conditions.  It is very important to me to help others find their way to a healthy and meaningful life.  The Arthritis Foundation gives our communities an avenue to convene, share information, to build awareness, and provide research dollars to find a cure.

Advice do you have for others:   In between the pain, lack of energy, and constant doctor’s appointments, it’s easy to feel like your life isn’t the quality you want it to be.  It doesn’t have to be less than what it used to be or not up to your expectations.  We have to make adjustments, and there’s nothing wrong with that.  The journey of living with arthritis related conditions can be as beautiful as you want it to be.  Find a good medical team, a good support team, treat your body well, and prioritize to make the most out of what you do have.

A little about you:  I am the Program Manager for the Indiana Public Health Training Center at IU School of Medicine Department of Public Health.  I’m also faculty in the IUPUI Department of Communication Studies and teach health communications, public speaking, and public relations.  I’m currently working on my PhD in Curriculum Studies.  I make time almost daily for yoga in the Iyengar style.  I have a crazy household on Eagle Creek with two Australian Shepherds, Furry Murray Fish Head and Rock Star Roxy Hart, and a cat, Princess Aurora the Diva Cat.  In addition, my significant other, Brian, and I enjoy volunteering for the Arthritis Foundation together, touring Indiana wineries, and challenging ourselves in the kitchen to make healthy food and treats.

What will you be blogging about?  I will be blogging about living well with fibromyalgia and arthritis, including my experiences with research, tips on working with your medical and support team, exercise, and other helpful things I find along the way.  I’ll also focus on the Indianapolis Arthritis Walk and the exciting plans!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to see Kate on here- she has been a huge inspiration to me (we have very similar physical issues) and always manages to stay positive. What a great addition you guys have in her blogging for you!

    ReplyDelete